Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Be An Adult: Clean Up Your Block!

Today I was walking home from the train station and was greeted to a sight I hoped I would never see in my area: Trash. A large amount of trash on the street and sidewalks. Now, admittedly, when I say "Large amount", I don't mean someone took a garbage bag from their kitchen and dumped it on the ground, I mean someone seemed to be throwing out random things from here and there and threw it on the ground.

Today's mess?A discarded "Guess Who?" game, minus the box. There were pieces EVERYWHERE. On top of that, empty bottles and food wrappers, tossed in with minor pieces of trash.

To me, it was a big mess, especially since there rarely is ever any trash in the blocks to and from my house to the station. There's a school not too far and I can only assume some kids did most of it without thinking. On the other hand, it made the neighborhood look really trashy. I don't want to live in the ghetto, thanks.

To everyone who reads this, take note of what I'm about to say:

It took me about 20 minutes to go up and down a city block and clean up all the trash I saw. It wasn't a lot, and it was pretty fast to do. If everyone took 5 minutes, just 5 lousy minutes a week... no one would have a problem with trash in their neighborhood. Go outside your house, look around, and if you see some trash lying around, just pick it up and throw it out.

To me, its about being a responsible adult more than anything else.

Photo Courtesy of Bad Luck City

No comments: