Saturday, January 12, 2008

On Being 23 and Getting Old

I know what your thinking already; 23 is Not Old. Your right, it's not. It just means I'm getting older. Nonetheless, it still means I'm getting on in years to a degree. I'm starting to notice this physically. My knees are starting to kill me, and my skateboarding isn't what it used to be. I've got some weird twitch with one of my eyes... You know what made me feel the oldest? I was on the train yesterday in a rather bad mood. All of a sudden, a teenager sits next to me, taking away all my room, and driving me nuts. A lady who it appears he knew talked to him periodically and he later moved.

So what does all this mean? During all of this, I realized I just became the same type of adult who I absolutely hated growing up; lame. The teen liked all the same stuff as me; skateboarding, art... but I still was just in a mood.

Growing up doesn't mean losing stuff, like hair or mobility. In reality, age boils more and more down to sheer responsibility and doing things for yourself and others. I may live on my own and have no real need to support anyone other than me, but I began to notice that a few things in my life are directly connected to others in ways I never saw before. Call it something you get with age or experience, but it's starting to come out.

That's really is about it. Yesterday was my Birthday, and I didn't get a cake or present this year, which I don't mind. I'm just glad I have some good friends more than anything.

No comments: