Thursday, March 25, 2010

New Computers: They Make Me Happy and Sad

By it's nature (or lack thereof), all technology has a short lifespan to certain degrees. When it comes to computers, its not very long at all. Yet, at the same time, its a virtual lifetime.

This week I'm updating the computers in my house. That involves a new desktop for my art, moving the old one to another room, and getting a new laptop as well. The old computers were purchased in 2007.

To some people it may seem relatively soon and still others not soon enough.

I originally bought them with the hope of simply updating them to Windows Vista since I was offered a free upgrade because I bought them so close to the launch date of the OS. As you may have guessed, I'm glad I never did it. Windows XP has been the OS of choice until yesterday when my laptop arrived and I set it up.

It was actually kinda heartbreaking. Think about it like this; you spend virtually every day and night with these items and they become vital parts of your life. Then the day comes when you must get rid of them and... well, improve. My laptop was with me when I redid my house, I did all my radio shows on it. Now its heading over to my friends house for a new life where it'll be put to better use.

Downstairs is the computer I got in 2004. It was actually the first new computer I ever got, and it was a gift from my mom a week before she went into the hospital never to return. I've used it for my artwork to this very day. To be honest, I don't know what I'll do with it when I finally let it retire this weekend... it has such a long and meaningful history to it. Its where I learned how to draw digitally, where I did my first few radio shows, where I learned how to REALLY use a computer (you know, stay away from this, download this anti-spyware program)....

Finally, there's my current bedroom computer. Oddly enough, there isn't much to say. It's where I designed and built the majority of my best artwork and websites, and I've become a much better designer and artist thanks to it.

Tomorrow I start my Windows 7 Journey full-force. The new desktop comes with a massive 21.5" screen, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 1TB Hard Drive. To say I'm excited is an understatement! New day, new possibilities, and the start of a new era of art, design, music, and more for me! But I'm still going to miss my old hardware, all of it, and all the good times we had.

Except for the printer. It's going down. OFFICE SPACE STYLE!

No comments: