Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Holy Grail - The Troc - May 3rd!


HOLY GRAIL - The Trocadero - May 3rd, 2011

This should be one hell of a show! Holy Grail will be playing the balcony at The Troc, and admission is only $10! So unless you're a starving artist, I think you should be able to make it, have a damn good time, and enjoy some awesome power/thrash metal!

Click here to check out the poster on DeviantArt!

-==--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I sketched out the poster idea about a week before I decided to work on a finish. It wasn't a very developed concept; a woman with snakes. I always like trying to add more and more to a piece like that, and I decided to do an ode to Leviathan.

At the same time, I was looking more and more at the work of my contemporaries, especially Godmachine. His work is consistently amazing, and I wanted to try something in the style he did that seems to be, in fact, the modern illustration style (my opinion, and nothing more). That said, my apologies if its too close!

I'm pretty happy with the result. I worked on it originally as a t-shirt design that I was going to turn into a poster, but I kept running into the same problem; I didn't like how colorful it was, especially on the poster. The original has a LOT of green, and on a whim I decided to make everything red. It worked great for the poster, and so you have this.

A lot of blood, sweat, and annoyance went into this piece. The woman's head was a nightmare to draw, and it's my biggest weakness. I love drawing women's heads, but I suck at drawing them looking up. I think I got it this time. :)

No comments: