Saturday, November 7, 2009

SEPTA, Union Talks Stall: Is a Class-Action Lawsuit Possible against TWU 234 and "Little" Willie Brown?

Talks between SEPTA and the union have stalled and no deal seems to be in sight.

As I noted before, Mayor Nutter's administration is looking to file an injunction to force the SEPTA workers to go back to work based on the fact that people, during a city-wide health emergency, can't go to their doctors and hospitals.

Today, I was talking with a friend and he told me he was losing money because of the strike. Since he doesn't drive or own a car, he can't go to his assignments as a substitute teacher. "Wow, you really are losing money over this!", I remarked. "I can't even get to my doctors appointments because of this thing!"

Then it came to me: A Class-action lawsuit against TWU 234's President "Little" Willie Brown.

The idea is this: Right now, it is safe to say that this strike is inconveniencing everyone, but people are actually getting into serious trouble without SEPTA. Some people can't get to their jobs, others can't get medical attention, others are forced to call ambulances to get to the hospital instead of taking a bus (in serious non-lethal emergencies), and businesses are losing money daily due to the strike.

To that end, a lawsuit seems reasonable.

This strike comes at the worst possible time: People can't get to their jobs or go to interviews, so their losing money. Because they can't get to doctors, especially during a state of medical emergency, TWU 234 is now endangering the lives of everyone in Philadelphia. Businesses are suffering because people may not be able to get to the stores, or may avoid traveling all together in fear of crowded trains and crowded roads.

Could it happen? I don't know, but I wouldn't be shocked it someone tries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd support it!