Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Blasphemy! - Albums I Think Suck But People Love

Over the past year, I've been listening to my entire CD collection and I started trimming the fat since then. I think I sold off about 50 CD's, or about 5-7% of my collection.

So right now I'm kinda cutting to the bone because I have a few albums I've been keeping if only because there is so much damn praise around them. I've never said, "Wow, I gotta put this on!" or put it on willingly.

With that said, here are some albums I think suck:

Annihilator - Schizo Deluxe
Seriously, why? Why the hell did they release this? I bought it back in 2006 when Tower Records was going under after hearing some praise for it. My relationship with Annihilator in general has never been good; I never got into Alice in Hell, but thought Never Ever Land was pretty sweet. This album takes a few steps all over the metal map but winds up being unlistenable.

Bad Brains - I Against I
Blasphemy? You betcha! I keep reading how important and great this album is, but the reality for anyone just picking it up now, someone who may even know the history of it and the impact it had... it falls flat. It's been hailed as a marvel of punk and, oddly enough, metal. The reality is that the first/title track is the best one on the album and lives up to what you hear, but the rest of the album falls flat. It's a reggae album with one punk/metal song. No thanks!

Bathory - Hammerheart
If you thought me bad mouth Bad Brains was bad, if your a die-hard black metal fan, or even one who knows their stuff on the subject, you know that Hammerheart is a legendary album for being, to many, the first viking metal album and one of the first black metal albums. Unfortunately, it goes on far too long, gets boring, and "Blood Fire Death" is better.

Behemoth - Demonica
Generic black/death metal. Behemoth went on to become the leaders of the blackened death metal movement, creating a brand of metal as brutal as Nile but still keeping traces of the same song structure and, yes, melody of thrash. Demigod is nothing at all like that. Two re-recordings are on here that are simply incredible, but the rest of this two-disc set wanders through.

No comments: