Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Gas and Electric Shutoff's During Winter: The Unreported Threat

It was the winter of my discontent, a winter of brutal cold and destroyed dreams. I had lost my job, I was turned down for unemployment since my last job didn't last long enough, trying to apply for welfare, and was about to lose my house. At the same time, I was almost broke and hadn't paid my utilities in months. It was March and I knew that it was only a matter of time and, sure enough, I had until April to pay them. It was nothing short of a miracle that I made it through. In the end, I was thankful that PGW and PECO were not allowed to turn off their services during the winter as it would lead to costly repairs to my house and me possibly freezing to death.

Enter 2009.

My friend has had a hard time getting by; as a freelancer, that happens. You have your great months and your bad months. Despite some large projects keeping him busy, it's been a devastatingly slow few months. Then came the "pay now" letters from PGW and PECO, but this time with a twist: A shut off notice. In February.

We had discussed a few times before that they wouldn't turn off service during the winter for a list of reasons: First, the human reason. Not being able to pay the bill aside, turning off the gas or electric meant freezing the person inside, possibly to death, which is... well, wrong. Then the toll on the house itself. Without either or both on, the pipes could freeze, causing them to burst, and require even more money to fix. In the end, a bill of $1000 could wind up costing the homeowner $2000 and more after paying restoration fees and fixing anything that may have broken or been damaged in the meantime.

What is astounding to me are two things: Why is this legal in Philadelphia and why isn't this being reported?

The reason it shouldn't be legal is actually very obvious since, as I mentioned already, the toll on the person is astounding and the toll on the house or property can be incredibly costly. During the summer months it's not quite as bad, but winter is understood to be the worst time possible to carry out a shut off in this city.

At the same time, this effects the poorest of our friends and neighbors, and it's a devastating thing to happen to a persons emotional toll. I had my power turned off once and aside from the feeling of disappointment you feel in it happening, your angry and sad at yourself for falling so far from society. You feel like an outcast and a pariah.

The toll on the neighbors properties is debatable, but it is likely that a house that is flooding due to bad pipes in a row home will effect the neighbors.

There are 6200 residents without heat in Philadelphia because of PGW, and number due to rising unemployment and steeper fees and declining budgets will most likely make it rise even more. At this moment, we need our lawmakers to take a stand and demand that they take quick and immediate action in order to make sure no one is forced to freeze to death this winter. This is a city on the brink, and this is a public health concern. More people getting sick due to poor heating? Is that what we need?

All the while, we need reform in the CRP and how it's funded. We need to make PGW an agent for change and get it back on it's toe to make a profit for the city. PECO, at the same time, is sending shut off notices and I can only hope that the death of the man in Bay City, Michigan teaches them something about this horrible and inhumane practice.

Photo thanks to PhillyIMC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not only are they shutting off gas but now PGW is assessing a deposit to current clients if they have been LATE 2 or more times. Something needs to be done about PGW!

lovmytwins said...

Yes , something needs to be done with PGW !! My gas has been turned off since August and it's now January , I tried makin several payments and they would not accept them and now it's winter and I have 2 teenagers and a dog and they still won't help me out . I have called every single phone number they gave me for grants , crisis , liheap and welfare , filled out all the applications by November and still no one has gotten back to me !! I called the welfare office at least once a week and leave messages and no one ever calls me back so I gave up on all .... So now my family and I freeze every night and take cold showers thnx to the city of Philadelphia !!!!what do I have to do to get recognized as a person in need for first time in my life !!!! Can anyone give me any info on who to call to help me resolve this situation before something devastating happens ? Please ? Thnk you