Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Notes from Hawaii Part 5 - Surfin' USA

What. A. Day!

The entire time I've been down here, I don't think I've finished a single meal here. Well, actually, I've finished two. The first was a meal at Arby's I got at the mall yesterday, and today was at Doraki Sushi, the greatest Sushi place I've ever been to!

The day started with a trip to IHOP, where we got a meal that was so big I didn't eat for a good 9 hours later! After that, we booked a car for tomorrow and headed to Diamond Head Park for a hike. The walk was nothing short of long and fun! It was about 3 miles for us to walk from the bus stop to the gate to the top of the mountain. We did the entire thing in about an hour.

After that, despite the fact both of our legs were killing us, I decided to go surfing.

Yep, surfing!

The hotel offered swimming lessons in a group for $60, so I decided to do something I wanted to remember forever, and this was it. Well, I also wanted to do skydiving, but that takes an entire day, waivers, etc... the lesson was only an hour and both me and the only other person both had to stop then because we were exhausted by the end. Swallowing nearly 2 gallons of fresh salt water will do that. But it was amazing! I wound up riding one wave back to the coast, nearly 125 yards in general! I almost fell off twice before I made it!

I also finally bought a longboard skateboard!

The skateboarding laws in Hawaii are not what you would imagine. Waikiki is 100% off limits to skateboarders, and some portions seem to be questionable. The main place I've heard of are skate parks, with one right outside Chinatown. I wound up having to walk nearly half a mile to skate for 3 minutes. I got to talk to some local skaters who started "Skatebeard".

I caught someone who does fire dancing and it was sweet watching it! He did all these awesome tricks and stuff.

After that, it was dinner at Doraku Sushi! We had a great time, and it was incredibly cheap considering what we had! It turns out one platter, the "Emperor Roll", actually had caviar in it! Which led to this sentence; "I can't believe I accidentally had caviar in the corner of my lip." $10. Who knew?

The rest is what it was. I ran to the mall to get something fixed; the anti-theft tag on a pair of boardshorts I got yesterday had to get removed. After I got off the bus, I actually got lost and found some neat little places here and there.

All is right with the world, and Hawaii is still a wonderful place.

Tomorrow we take on the North Shore and think about how great it all was. :)

No comments: