Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Simpsons Movie DVD: Review

First, let me review the movie in 4 words:

Greatest. Simpsons Episode. EVER!

Seriously, that's it. The movie kicks ass and is incredible.

Onto the DVD itself, and thus the post. I just bought it a few days ago, along with the Insanely Delux version of Blade Runner that came out the same day. I was a bit puzzled by the plain-looking package that I was getting for $16 (I got it cheap because it was on sale), and knew that if it was anything like the seasons box-sets that I have ought (Down-right religiously at that!), there would be a TON of extras.

Fox must be holding out on us.

Special features on the DVD are limited to two commentary tracks, one featuring the creators and actors, another with just the director. From the first commentary alone, and from every web account possible, a ton of footage was cut from the film to make sure it worked. So when you open up the special features and only a few select deleted scenes are there... well, as a die-hard fan, I'm pretty annoyed.

In an age when new releases of DVD's tend to come in "special edition" packages upon their initial release, and when I can get a special bonus disc to Clerks 2, Shrek, and god knows how many others, upon their initial release... well, you know where I'm going with this.

This is where the Blade Runner thing is going to chime in. For a good $80, you get 5 different versions of the film, deleted scenes, and more extras than you can shake a stick out! 9 HOURS of bonus footage! Hell, the Lord of the Rings had maybe that much, if not more!

The point of all of this is that I just want more bang for my buck here! The Season 10 commentary was lacking since everyone was busy with the movie, and there was so much stuff that was tied-in with this film... well, I think it's time to lay out what I think should be on a re-release of this DVD:

ALL of the Deleted Scenes - Not kidding. If it was put into a final animation state, add it. If it was something deleted from the animatic, or not fully animated, I want to see it. With all of the stuff cut, and all of Lisa's boyfriends cut... COME ON!

All of the Tie-in Ads - Burger King Spots, any news reports on the Kwik-e-Mart transformations of the 7-11's, photos of the best print ads...

Footage from the Release - I know there had to be something filmed during the Springfield, Vermont screening.

Documentary - Documentary of the making of the film. When isn't there one of these?

That's about it. I want to hear some ideas before I make, yes, an on-line petition. Something tells me FOX is already planning this... but still.

No comments: