Thursday, October 16, 2008

So Obama is Going to Win

Obama is going to win.

As hard as I've been on this man, it's been both with good reason and without. But, despite that, I always knew that, no matter what, that it could go either way in the end.

Back in January, I stated that the Democrats would win this election. That was right after I saw that the Ron Paul Revolution, sadly, wasn't going to happen. I was rooting for Clinton to win and since she didn't, I feared Obama being President. I was pissed that he had lied running for office, I was pissed he lied about taking money from lobbyists, I was pissed he wasn't in favor of universal health care, and I was pissed later on that he didn't take public financing.

But now... now... well, I think there is.... Hope.

At this point, it's normally a question of "The Lesser of Two Evils" and, in this case, I still think it is. I think McCain has proven that he has sold his soul to the Republican Party for a party nomination and a chance to be President again, and in the end he destroyed himself. He got fame, power, and hot women, but he lost everything that made McCain someone Democrats as far back as even 2006 would have voted for.

We now have President Obama, and America will be better off for it.

I wanted America to have another F.D.R. and not a J.F.K.; someone who not only gave great speeches, but had a plan for America that involved restricting spending, enlarging government when needed, and helping as many people as possible. FDR invented a lot of things we still use today for when we fall upon hard times, and he did it while, at the same time, cutting back on wasteful Government spending. He saw the nightmare America became under President Hoover and offered America "A New Deal". I wanted this with a new president, and frankly, I think we may have.

Obama hasn't called his plan a "New Deal", but he has said it's the "Change We Need". His entire campaign has been "Change" and, as much as you may want to argue and complain and say he stinks... well, you can't fight change. It's a way of life. His economic plan decreases taxes for everyone making less than $250,000, he would raise taxes for everyone making more than that. It calls for ending tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas, and close the bankruptcy loopholes. It reforms a lot of the problems with the current system.

He's taken hard stances against Pakistan, he's come up with a plan to help remove troops from Iraq as soon as possible and put them in Afghanistan, and he's willing to prevent a war with Iran. I won't lie, the only thing that pisses me off about his platform is that he mandates health care for kids and not adults, and has never said what that penalty will be. In the end, this hopefully will be a rather minor thing.

I've been a rather tough and downright harsh Obama critic, and I don't expect that to make this any vindication for it. I was harsh on him just as I would be any other politician. I didn't attack McCain because... well, honestly, does anyone need to? He's basically made a joke of himself and all his flaws were obvious. Obama needed someone who wasn't part of the radical right calling them out on stuff, and, just like I did with Nutter, I will.

On a whole, Obama add's up to be a decent president. He's basically has taken the last 19 months and made himself into someone that, if elected, I could actually look up to. A lot of my resentment is based on his platform and his past, and part of it is my gut. In the end, he can actually turn America around. I look ahead and I see a presidency more like a storybook; And the man from Chicago overcame diversity, defeated the evil tyrant and his evil henchmen, and became ruler of all the land, creating 8 years of peace and prosperity over the land.

And America lived Happily Ever After. :)

No comments: