Sunday, September 27, 2009

Drinking Coffee Liberally - Sundays in Mt. Airy! Come Out Some Time!


Back in March, a group I periodically attended called Drinking Liberally decided to do something different: Instead of meeting at a bar at night, why not meet on a Sunday afternoon over coffee? The result was a larger group, lively discussions, and a lot of fun!

But it was at that time that we discussed a new poster. We were "sponsored" by the national group, and they didn't have anything for coffee drinkers. While talking, I took out my sketch book, worked out a quick idea, and everyone agreed it would be great for me to do it.

Well, time passed, and the idea simply sat around, periodically being mentioned and me groaning about time or something or other. But since I was being so productive and creative, I decided now was the time to take a chance and work on the poster and see if the national picked it up.

The version I did relied on the imagery already used by the organization and the original idea was to do a radial as I've done in a lot of my work. I passed on that idea because it just couldn't work with the font, space, and limited color I wanted to use.

This version plays off Art Deco and the same ideas and concepts used for New Deal programs under FDR.

If you live in Philadelphia, namely the Mt. Airy area, please come out to Drinking Coffee Liberally! The group meets up Every Sunday at 12:30PM to 2:30PM at Infusion Cafe at 7133 Germantown Avenue. Tell 'em Larry Sent 'Ya!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm founding a Drinking Liberally chapter in Tempe, AZ, and I was researching poster ideas, and wow, this is really nice! Just completely *pow!* like a Soviet propaganda poster.

Mark Skull said...

LOL! HA HA! I just saw this comment!

Well, yes and no. Its really more based on the national posters for the organization than anything else, but I do see what you mean.

I'm glad you enjoy it! :)