Thursday, September 10, 2009

Obama's Speech: The New Healthcare Deal and the Return of Dissent


Last night, I watched as President Obama gave his speech on health care. Now, some may think at this point that I am anti-Obama to no end, and your wrong, very very wrong. Last night showed me why I'm glad I voted for him, and its largely because I wanted someone who, to be quite frank, got shit done.

Obama: You will no longer be denied coverage if you have a pre-existing condition. You will no longer be dropped if you get sick, or water it down. You can keep your insurance if you're happy with it.




THIS! THIS is what the people voting for Obama wanted. This is what a large majority of American's want! This, in the end, is what we need.

Health Insurance companies are, to me, the last privatized public service. While I am 110% in favor of capitalism, I don't think certain things should be privatized, like the police or fire departments. If you make your own system to compete, I'm 100% in favor of that, but not for it being entirely private. Health Insurance is an essential public service. Without it, people who get violently sick and could be otherwise productive members of society fall and die since they can't afford the coverage.

The only thing I'm worried with in this bill is that they would need to set caps and limits on the insurance companies on what, exactly, they will charge for this. They make money denying people, which we know for a fact, so if they have to take and keep sick people, are they going to, in turn, raise their rates for them and everyone else? "Oh, your not denied, but your monthly premium is $2000"?!

I'm happy and hopeful with what I heard, but I am nervous of the execution.

Also last night, there was something rarely ever done during a speech like this: Dissent. Yes, there have been gestures in the past (simply sitting while others stand), but in the middle of his speech, Republican Joe Wilson of South Carolina yelled "YOU LIE!" While I don't agree with him on his point, I do want to say this: I wish someone had the balls to say that during the State of the Union address back in 2003.

Cartoon - Tony Auth

No comments: