Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wizard World Philadelphia 2009: Why I'm Glad I Didn't Go Now

In 2002, Wizard Entertainment created Wizard World Philadelphia, the single largest comic book convention in Philadelphia and, in turn, most of the East Coast. The best year, to me, was when they had both Jim Lee and Alex Ross doing signing sessions, as well as more comic book legends then you could shake a stick at. That was 2004.

Since then, the convention has been slowly getting weaker. It was understandable at first; nothing can be great forever and always hit 1000, right? In 2008, it felt as if the doldrums had taken over. It wasn't as packed, it felt empty, and there weren't a lot of big name stars that time around in the world of comics. I spent all 3 days there semi-depressed, gathering signatures for the CBLDF and irritated half of the time.

It was amazing. I LOVED Wizard World! In 2002, I volunteered just to help out and scored some free swag in the process. It was always a chore getting the signatures I wanted, but it was still fun! Going home with armloads of swag, comics, toys... I still remember getting to meet a hero of mine, Brian Pluido, back in 2003!

It seems they cared less and less about getting big-name comic book stars to come and more about getting $50-for-an-autograph stars of the silver screen and television.

In 2009, I already knew I shouldn't go. I kept checking out the guest list... and it sucked. I told my friends I wasn't going, the first time since 2002 and its opening. They asked why, I told them, and they would look at the list and squeal with glee, "Oh my god! They have so-and-so from some TV Show!" "So? Its a comic book convention! I don't care! Besides, you have to pay to get in, and then pay them for the 'privilege' of getting a photo or autograph from them!" They said they would go... and they didn't.

To me, a comic book convention should rely more on getting... well, comic book stars! Garth Ennis was the Guest of Honor this year, which is awesome... but he was there last year practically with the same honor. I didn't see anyone else I wanted to see... except Brad Guigar. Who is that, you ask?

I had met Brad Guigar a long time ago at the convention, back in 2002 when he was doing a strip called "Greystone Manor". It was about life in Philadelphia, and it was funny, well-written, and interesting. In 2008, I met him again and he was working on a new strip called "Evil, Inc." I was intriguied and interested, bought a copy, and wanted to go just to meet him again and get a few more books. Or I would, if I had the cash.

I checked out his site and it seems its a good thing I didn't go this year: None, I repeat, NONE of the major publishers had booths this year (Marvel, DC, etc..) and it was, in a lot of ways, relegated to being a bunch of small guys in a big pond. Litteraly. Its a shame, and not because you need the big guys to make a con. No, what they did was add to the experience. It wasn't about checking out the latest stuff from Marvel or DC; it was about the fact that they gave the con a sense of purpose, of meaning... and getting people in the door!

Attendence was crappy, it rained all weekend (Which normally doesn't stop it, but who knows), and there wasn't even carpeting in this massive, massive space!

Brian said it best:
What happened at to Wizard World Philadelphia?

Wizard World Philadelphia is usually packed with surprises and this year was no different. For starters, DC Comics pulled out of the convention. So did all of the other major publishers (Marvel, Image, Dark Horse and Top Cow) as well as con staples such as Kevin Smith's View Askew T-shirt booth.

The floorplan that Wizard had posted before the event was vastly different from the floorplan that exhibitors and attendees navigated over the weekend. Aisles were huge as booths were stretched thin to fill the exhibit space. And, unlike past years, there was no carpeting in those mammoth aisles to ease the sore feet of attendees.
Brian did a great job discussing this and I think I'll take in his footsteps and start talking about Wizard in the future. What I posted was, really, the tip of the iceburg. Read more from him in these links:

Con Report: Wizard World Philadelphia
Wizard Timeline

No comments: