Friday, June 4, 2010

The Philadelphia Art Scene: Getting Better!


It was roughly a year ago when I last wrote about the Philadelphia Art Scene, and how I ranted that the local blogs only seem to support... well... boring stuff. I recanted, somewhat, saying that good art was out there in the city but it just wasn't getting the attention it deserved.

To a large degree, I still think that's true (especially on the blog end), but I've seen a TREMENDOUS jump in the quality of work being put out in the city.

Tonight on First Friday, I went to the Salt Gallery for the first time. I decided not to display my work because, to be honest, it was just too hot. The gallery celebrates contemporary and up-and-coming artists, and in general has a nice blend of everything, including pop art. Located at 212 Race Street, it is worth taking a look!

But the biggest shocker for me wasn't in the gallery, but on the street. While walking past Christ Church, a few paintings grabbed my eye, one of which I could swear I had seen before.

John McGinn was born in Kingston, NY, and moved here in 1985 with his family. The son of a master painter, John at age 31 paints like an old master and is, without a doubt, the best painter I've ever seen on the streets on First Friday. It was very inspiring, very stunning, and the photos don't do his work justice. If you get the chance, or simply the privilege, you must see one of his painting in person! I asked him about galleries and his answered simply mirrored mine whenever I was asked; "I've actually never bothered to try."

Over at Digital Ferret, the artist Jeremy Hush had an opening on Fourth Friday, and the show will be running through the month. Creating surreal and creepy landscapes. He has absolutely stunning work in the tradtion of other artist such as Edgar Allen Poe... well, if he drew, at least.

The scene is getting better, and I can actually smile now. :)

IMAGE: "Lingerie" © Gouache on Panel 2ft x 4ft by John McGinn

No comments: