Friday, April 10, 2009

Kreator & Exodus Last Night At The Troc: One Of My Top 5 Shows!

Last night was nothing short of amazing!

I got to the venue at 5:30PM, 30 minutes before the show. The Trocadero normally doesn't allow lines to form until 30 minutes before a show, and I thought since the show wasn't sold out, I would be fine. WRONG! About 80 screaming metal heads were already there, and to me, that was a good sign! By the times the doors opened, the line was around the block, everyone was psyched about having a good time, and I was ready for Kreator!

The bill last night was as follows:
  • Warbringer
  • Belphegor
  • Exodus
  • Kreator
If your into metal, and by that, if you still LISTEN AND FOLLOW metal, by no doubt you understand that is an amazing line-up, the likes of which you pray for. Warbringer, delivering old-school thrash with a modern twist, along with black metal legends Belphegor... playing aside two of the greatest thrash metal bands of all time Exodus AND Kreator?

Warbringer started off the show with a thunderous roar, brining as much energy and determination, as well as incredible songs and riffs, as if they were headlining! I've only heard about this band from all my metalhead friends, and it was an honor, and a treat, to watch them live. Belphegore... I will admit, never heard their stuff, either. It was great to do so, though! They have a very smart, very indepth musical ability and style, something that I think buying an album would really give me depth on.

Exodus. Holy shit, what can I say about these guys?! The original band that screamed "DEATH TO POSERS!" and meant it with every ounce of their body, they have always been a mixture of pure "fuck you!" and having a good time. Many bands claim it, these guys have actually done it! They have songs that can pratically bleed with statements that will make people on both sides of the political isle uneasy ("O say can you fucking see/ The missles fall like rain" - "Scar Spangled Banner") and ("Your saviors a killer, you die for Allah /You are all children of a worthless god"). There is always a party attituide, a-la "Toxic Waltz" which, seriously, if you can't find yourself moshing to that song at LEAST a little bit live with 1000 other screaming metalheads... you suck and don't go to metal shows, and the band is amazing!

Rob Dukes (who I refer to as "Rob "Daisy" Dukes, only because it's the easiest way to remember the last name. I guess Rob "Put Up Your" Dukes works fine, too) was the absolute showman; riling up the crowd and supporting his beloved New York Rangers, while guitarist Jack Gibson from California loves The Philadelphia Flyers! Hell, he even put on a Flyers Jersey for "Toxic Waltz"! For me, a little treat was the fact that Jack Gibson was playing the same exact guitar as me, a ESP DV8! I got lucky and got a guitar pick he actually used, and it's the same as me! SWEET!

Kreator. KREATOR! It was nothing short of great! Led Zepplins "In the Light" was used to basically warm up the crowd before they went on, and they opened with the skull-shattering title track off their new album, "Hordes of Chaos"! The rest of the set was peppered with choice tracks such as "Coma of Souls", "People of the Lie", and "Phobia". Miland 'Mille' Petrozza worked the crowd fairly well, and it was hilarious hearing him mention a question that was asked of him if he was serious when he told the crowd to "kill each other?" His reply? "Well, I told them that it was all just a metaphor, that really we're all about peace and harmony." The crowd went dead silent and I kinda smiled as I got what he was saying. "I have to tell you something.... I LIED! For this next song I want you TO KILL EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!"

After slamming to "Enemy of God" and "Destroy what Detroys You", the rest of the night was great. Excellent shredding, showmanship...

In the end, I got to remember why I love going to metal shows and just why, exactly, The Trocadero is such a great place for a metal show; Because, unlike some places, the people who go to these shows are actually fans of the music and the bands there! They aren't there to be "seen", they aren't there because they think it's "ironic"; no, there is a sort of brotherhood and a good natured feeling that has been with this place since every show I've gone to there since 2003 when I was 18.

Last night was the type of show that comes once in a great while. It wasn't entirely about the incredible bands, the excellent performances.. the fans and friends are the cherry on the sundae at a metal show, and frankly, I want more.

I'll be posting more shows soon, and trust me when I say this: It's going to get GOOD!


Here is the set list for Kreator:




Photo thanks to Workhardpr!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was there too, great show..