Friday, September 12, 2008

Proof that Philly Bloggers Tend to Suck

They TEND to at times, myself included. I'm not saying that all Philly Bloggers are stupid, inane, and petty 100% of the time... but, yes, we do tend to suck. Myself? I try not to point out the humor in something; we live in an age of irony, where self-deprecation is celebrated at the expense of achieving anything meaningful. Instead of simply trying to find the small bit of humor in a situation in a serious world, we've instead created a world seemingly devoid of seriousness. By constantly going after nothing more than a quick chuckle or laugh, we lose any sense of depth and meaning.

Of course, the exception proves the rule. George Carlin had a talent for doing just that, and because he, and a handful of incredibly talented comics, are able to doesn't mean any two-bit blog writter can, or should.

On that note, I'm going to point to a few friends. These folks kick-ass, and I have nothing against them. Consider this a nudge that, yes, we can all stray from what we want to do when we write these things, a reminder that we can go into our own selves and self-indulge in ways that are kinda sickaning.

Philebrity recently did a piece on Johnny Gootimes and his Quizzo thing and, I agree, Quizzo is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. The smartest conversation I've ever heard in a bar was either drowned out by everyone else talking, incredibly loud music, or slurred to the point where the person talking thought pointing out how hot a woman was was the equivelent of writing a Shakesperian play. But because of some stupid comment about the writer, Joey Sweeny, who is, without a doubt, an AWESOME guy (I've met and worked with him in the past, and he helped me a lot last year) by Johnny in his column for the Philadelphia Metro, the result was a very sad flame war:

  1. Johnny Goodtimes Says:

    This is no kind of job for a grown ass man? Uh, dude, you’re pretty much my age and you’re a professional blogger. I mean, seriously.

  2. tips Says:

    Is that off the Quizzo Hosts Talking Points sheet, Johnny? Please. Now here’s my answer sheet. Can you send the girl around with some more peanuts?

  3. Johnny Goodtimes Says:

    Sorry, the peanut girl says she refuses to serve people who wear skinny jeans and don’t wash their hair.

  4. tips Says:

    All you need is a brick wall and shoulderpads, and you’re a regular Paula Poundstone.

No comments: