Monday, September 1, 2008

Hurricanes and Republlicans: Can We Just Shut Up?

I've been a junkie for 24/7 news and pretty much any coverage about Hurricane Gustav hitting New Orleans, LA, and the entire Western Gulf Coast. At the same time, I was excited about the Republican National Convention and seeing the coverage for it. The reason for that was two-fold; I avoided anything dealing with the Democratic one because of the basic non-stop "Obamania" thing that was going on with the media about it. At the same time, it's going to be hilarious to have to watch Keith Olbermann to try and be fair in his coverage of a party he absolutely hates.

But with this hurricane, the reaction, not by the press, but by people who hate the Republican Party, has been pretty damn sick.

Again, I am a registered Republican right now, but I've basically am so I could vote for Ron Paul back during the PA Primaries. I've been meaning to become an Independent again. I wanted to point that out for full disclosure of who's this is coming from.

I'm not a fan of the Republicans, but a lot of the comments have been really, really sick. Michael Moore, who I own all of his films and think is awesome, was thankful for the storm to hit since it would delay the convention. I got the joke, and he immediately realized how wrong that was to say, but still just sick. A lot of people are glad to see that the Republicans may have to shortened their convention and not do a lot of things because of the storm.

On the flip side, I can't imagine the outrage these same people would have if the Republicans said the same thing if the Democrats were in the same mess. Two sides of the same coin, really.

One idea being floated around, and I honestly hope this happens, is that the RNC becomes a telethon to help the residents of the Gulf Coast. That's honestly is a great idea because they have a massive national stage for which they can do a lot fo good.

I think that, right now, we need to put politics aside. There's a national emergency right now and arguing and debating the Republicans at this degree detracts from that right now. Let's focus on this Hurricane, make sure that everything works out... THEN we can go on about how horrible the Republicans are.

No comments: