Monday, September 8, 2008

8-Album Mind: 90's Rock DID Suck


Well, not much to say, really, other than I am seriously wondering why I never sold two of these albums, and trust me, it's not the metal discs.

I've been spending the last week watching episodes of Daria... the entire series, actually. I'm up to mid-way through Season 4 so that means there's, sadly, only a season and a half let to go. All of this has made me want to remember the 90's, at least a little, and watching epsiodes with the use of music has made me nostalgic for what was, to a large degree, a better time.

I'll just say: Mellon Collie and The Infininite Sadness is THE most over-rated album of the 90's. Period. The album is the blue-print for every single whiny post-rock/indie rock band to come out since 1995. The album has a ton of highlights; "Tonight, Tonight", "Bullet With the Butterfly Wings", "1976", and a few others... but while there are some great tracks, it's 75% filler. Can you honestly say that the album would be any better if Billy never recorded "Where Boys Fear to Tread"? I keep it because of the history. I've never actually been able to listen to it more than once a year.

Soundgarden... honestly, I'm being harder on Superunknown than I should. It's a good album, very solid, and really heavy. It's a great listen, and I guess Badmotorfinger (which I loved watching the videos on Beavis & Butt-head, but never the album) left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a good album but the depressive nature of the album and a lot of grunge, really, just isn't for me anymore. 

Really, when you look at the 90's, it's kinda interesting: The 90's was basically a strive for the aging baby boomers of the 60's and 70's who preached free love to realize that they became the same capitalisitic pigs they once hated. At the same time, since these hippies now controlled pop culture and the media, a return to their free-love movement was brought back. What countered this? Grunge.

In fact, it's cool; You had the shiniest, glossiest pop imagineable with broups like Aqua, Britney Spears, New Kids on the Block, etc,... and meanwhile, groups like Nirvana and Alice in Chains depressing everyone. I'm kinda surprised that this entire nation didn't go on drugs.... wait a minute.

Well, let's wrap this up. Static-X Wisconsin Death Trip is an INCREDIBLE metal-disco album by the band that invented the term. Ironic, isn't it, that Wayne Static met Billy Corgan in 1994. Meanwhile, Soulfly released the realization of 10-years of mixing Brazillain music with metal: Dark Ages. Hands down, best album they ever did.

No comments: