Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Humbling Gesture

I would like to say Thank you and give a bow to Philadelphia Weekly for doing something that, frankly, was the most humbling, thoughtful, and nicest thing I've had happen to me in a long time.

On Tuesday, I felt the need to vent about the coverage of President Obama on the day of his inaguration. It seemed that the media took a holiday and instead of doing their job, instead decided on being the mouthpiece of our administration. While I am thrilled with what Obama has done in his... well, 2 days in office, I pointed out something that I'm glad resignated so much that they felt compelled to make it a headline:

The time to question is when no one else is.

We can not, at this time in this nations history, simply allow ourselves to turn off our brains and be complacent with this election and this outcome. Obama has been built up to a level that no human being is capable of, and it is up to us, those who voted for him, those who elected him, those who want him to live up to his message of "hope" and "change"... it is up to us, the American People, to question this administration and still use the same critical thinking skills we used on Bush.

Today he closed Gitmo, something I am happy about. But, at the same time, what is the result of this? What are both the good and, yes, bad in this move? I don't have the answers, but is this a step in the right direction? I think it's safe to say yes.

No comments: