Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Pepsi Redesign Attempt

OK, so since October a lot of people have been up in arms over the new Pepsi logo and have done everything to belittle it. From comparing it to ass cracks, Korean Air, and even the Obama campaign logo (which was idiotic since the Obama logo was compared to the Pepsi Logo as early as February of 2008!) I got sick of it!

I didn't mind the alteration myself; the tilt to make it a "smile" is cute and clever. The Pepsi can was becoming a lot more cluttered lately, with really crappy designs hogging up a ton of room better left to, say, breathing room. The thing became a Photoshop nightmare, so cleaning it up to a more flat vector-esq thing again is a great thing!

Now, my problem is simple: The PACKAGING is generic! It's bland, boring, uses a generic font that's unappealing for something that's supposed to have impact... it isn't "PEPSI" anymore! It's "....pepsi....", a timid little thing that is afraid of being on the shelf and wants to be second-banana to Coca-Cola.

So when the new ad campaign came out, I was kinda glad to see the logo with a font that was better! The font used in the advertising actually has some weight to it and some impact. It isn't thing and kinda airy and thin; it's bold and strong! That, to me, is what is missing in the new Pepsi packaging and the font.

So I found a font close to the one used in the ads, made a few adjustments to it, and added a background that I thought made it say "POP", or at least "Soda Pop"; I wanted the fact that Pepsi is a large part of POP-Culture to be in it.

This is just me screwing around and actually putting my money where my mouth is.



Original:




Check out more of my art here: LARRY WEST PRODUCTIONS

4 comments:

phillybikeboy said...

I had a go of my own a while back. Cartoon eyes make everything better.

\

Airlines Info said...

Pepsi's and Korean Air's logos seem quite the same to me.
Normally companies would go to court for this.

Mark Skull said...

That's actually debatable.

Pepsi has had a logo like this for decades. The fact that the angel changed is just a minor change, its still the same logo as before.

Sinalizar said...

MY NAME IS MARCOS OF SOU DO BRAZIL CARD COMPANY FOR PEPSI, I WANT TO RECEIVE THIS FROM YOUR IMAGUEM PEPSI.É POSSIBLE?
THANK YOU taymidia@gamil.com