Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Story of Roland Burris: Or How To Make People Hate You

When Illinois Governor Rob Blagojevich was accused (and, basically, found out) to be selling Obama's Senate Seat, one thing was basically agreed: If he appointed anyone, they would be rejected. When I heard about it, I decided to put myself in the position of someone being asked to do it. "Larry, would you please replace President-Elect Obama as Illinois Senator?" "Sir, thank you very much for the offer, but I'm going to have to decline. I'm going to prepare a statement and release it stating that I am thankful for the seat, it's an honor, but I don't feel it's appropriate at this time to accept it."

So
Roland Burris, what's your excuse?

Instead of doing the right and honorable thing, he has, instead, pushed himself into a media circus where he has become... well, I don't know. I guess an idiot. But who can entirely blame him? If you were offered a job as a US Senator, would you simply turn it down, especially if you knew it was yours, 100% legally, free-and-clear? The only catch... is that your appointed by a corrupt politican and may never get to serve because of it, especially if you don't try to distance yourself from it.

Here's a fact you may not know; if he doesn't get the job, there will be no black senators this time around. And, in turn... some people have dragged race into this. Great. Pointless racism. Just what we need with our first black President.

Long story short: He should have publicly turned it down. Said it was an honor to be asked, but he can't do it. Now? Now it's too late. And that's sad.

No comments: