Thursday, January 8, 2009

Clients Are The People You Need That Kill Your Dreams



Source: Pearls Before Swine/Univeal Press

In the world of freelancing, you're always left with a tough problem: While you may dream big, you always need to keep your client in mind in terms of what they can afford. I don't have any stories about it from myself, and really, the title is just a joke (I love 99% of my clients; the 1% left... well, that's life).

But I have a friend who was struggling with a commission he got to design some labels for a local company. The company was printing the labels themselves... on a label-maker printer. The problem? Because it was their printer and their inks, he had to design something fun and interesting that used as little ink as possible. He was having a hard time until I sent him links to packaging blogs where designers had the same problem. I still haven't seen the results, though, but he did say it helped.

No comments: