Sunday, March 29, 2009

Deceptive Sales Techquies and How They Hurt Business

I went to FYE Saturday for something simple: A pair of headphones.

The FYE I went to is the one I used to work at, and I ran into someone I used to work with. He had found out that the old store manager was ringing up those "free magazines" without telling customers, which in turn boosted the stores numbers and hurt a LOT of customers. I congratulated him in person and went to the counter with my headphones.

The guy who rang me up asked me if I wanted to reserve anything. I said, "No thanks, just this." He then said, with a bit of a smile and a joky tone, "Well, we have a new policy that you need to make a reservation in order to make a purchase." I started chuckling a little and I said, "Sorry, no thanks, just the headphones." "Well, my manager is right next to me and he says the same thing," he said motioning to the tall blond man next to him. "No thanks, I just want the headphones."

This went on for nearly 5 minutes.

I finally reached my breaking point, which I'm sure was obvious on my face. I was angry, I was going to miss my train, and I was not in the mood for this crap. So, calming myself down, I finally said, "Look, I know all the tricks, and I'm just not in the mood for this right now. Either I can pay for my headphones or, I'm sorry, I'll have to leave." He paused for a moment and finally said, "$15 dollars." "Thanks, " and I handed him my credit card. He said there was something wrong with it and ran it through again.

He took the time to ask me about when I worked there and how I did. "So, how many reservations a day did you get a day when you worked here?" I worked at 30th Street Station back in 2004 and was the top salesman there. I took a guess at how I did. "About 6 a day..." he took out a piece of paper. "BAM! 16 today alone! And that's my average!" He handed me my reciept and I looked it over before I signed to make sure there was nothing wrong with it. He handed me my headphones and said, "Well, I guess you don't know all the tricks." I left the store angrier than when I entered.

I wouldn't post about something like this about this location if there didn't seem to be something wrong with this picture. The last part, where he felt the need to brag about how many he got a day and "not knowing all the tricks"... I know his, and frankly, it's distasteful.

Telling ANY customer you need a reservation for a purchase is wrong. Not only that, it is a lie, it is distateful, and it doesn't help the store in any way, shape, or form. Having the manager supposedly back up your claim doesn't help either. I thought he was kidding, I kinda knew he was, but because of how he kept pressuring me about it, because he felt the need to point out how many sales he had, and because he said I didn't know "all the tricks"... I'm pretty sure he's done this to other people.

And that's just wrong.

This post is a warning to all that you need to be careful of salesmen and that you need to be assertive. I'm thinking about returning the headphones now and getting my money back because this entire thing has really just pissed me off, and I think he has done it to others.

It's also a warning to salesmen as well; You never know when what you say or do will be repeated to others and friends... and the internet.

Photo courtesy of iStockphoto.

No comments: