Friday, July 25, 2008

First Friday is Coming; Will I Be There?

First Friday: The day all the art galleries on 2nd and 3rd Street in Old City open their doors, and all the artists who can't get into the galleries, or don't want to be in there, head out to the streets to sell their art and try to earn some much-needed cash.

It's always been my firm stance that the scene here suffers from 2 main problems; The fact that creativity is shunned and that fact that there are too many "outsider artists" who can barely draw a stick figure who think they're making a "statement" by selling some idiotic thing they slapped together back in high school and think they can sell to someone as "art".

So talent and originality take a back seat to trends, in short.

Admittedly, I've never been one for "urban art", in a sense. By that, I really just mean modern art done in the last 10 - 20 years. Recently it's been about rehashing old ideas and presenting them as new, and... eh, I won't lie, I'm guilty of it, too. We all are. History repeats itself and all ideas, even the first ones, were based on earlier ideas, perceptions, and concepts.

At any rate, I'm considering going out there myself next Friday. I'm still torn and trying to make up my mind. There's a lot of new stuff, but the things I REALLY want to do aren't even started yet. Let's see where it heads.

No comments: