Thursday, August 28, 2008

Megadeth and the Future of Web Design

A few days ago, I posted an article on why Web 2.0 sucks and pointed to a site that I consider to be the future of web design. Now, for all disclosure purposes, I've talked on and off with the Webmaster of Megadeth for nearly 4 years now, am a massive Megadeth fan, and even had Dave Mustaine help me out of a jam once. But I wanted to point out this site because it does something very few sites can do; combine an AWESOME design with GREAT functionality.

But I tend to talk too much. I was lucky enough to score an interview with the webmaster, Dave McRobb:

How long have you been working with Megadeth, and how did you meet Dave Mustaine?

Dave McRobb:
5 years. [I] Met Dave in 1995 backstage Youthansia tour. Earned a “Feed The Hungry” pass from local radio station by bringing in 2 cans of food. Megadeth were doing a food drive on that tour.

How did you create the FIRST Megadeth Site? What did it look like? What features did it have?

McRobb:
I didn’t create the first Megadeth site. I believe it was Megadeth Airzona. Here is an archived page of it online http://web.archive.org/web/19980207015730/www.hollywoodandvine.com/megadeth/

What motivated you to get into web design?

McRobb: Always been technical minded. Loved computers. Worked here and there for friends’ bands. Set up a forum or two which got me into knowing how to works with code and databases, etc. Took on hosting and webmaster for Megadeth.com, then really snowballed from there.

Do you do your own coding? If so, how long have you been doing it? What programming languages are you good at?

McRobb: I do coding, yep. I also work together with others if need be. Approx 7 years. HTML, Cold Fusion, JavaScript, PHP, CSS (stylesheet language), mySql (databse management system), Flash (streaming animation) …you know, the regular old stuff. =)

What inspired and influenced the current Megadeth website and the content?

McRobb: Current Megadeth site inspired and influenced by the United Abominations album of course. The colors were loosely derived from the album. I wanted a state-of-the-art site compared to the last version. I wanted flash objects in an HTML/PHP coded page opposed to going all Flash. There were several little details I knew I wanted like the map, murals, logo and button placement, news section etc. I wanted a detailed Discography section and an epic photo gallery. New audio and video players. All those kind of things. And as always, as a site is being built, one gets inspired and comes up with ideas as it grows. All part of the creative process.

What do you think is the future of web design?

McRobb: Future… more and more sites designed in CSS. Flash design will surely grow and become more user friendly. More overall interactivity with the user. The web will continue to offer information and be a form of communication, selling products, etc which will always be considered when designing. Things change quickly with technology so it can be hard to say sometimes where things will go. But I look forward to it all!

Make sure you head over to the site at Megadeth.com. There's a new Megadeth album in the works and that can only mean McRobb is going to need to a new design, thus pushing even more the boundaries of web design.

No comments: