Sunday, August 24, 2008

Redesigning My Website: War Journal 6: The Battle of CSS Positioning

I hate CSS positioning. A lot. Then again, you only hate something like this when you can't get it to work for you.

Also, I want to take some time to complain about W3 standards, at least to some degree.

A neutral validation service, W3 has been basically defining what it means to have a site that works in all browsers. Admittedly, the validation seems so incredibly anal retentive it's sick. Want an example? Twitter gives a code that allows you to put their code on your page. The problem? The code they have leaves one tiny little list object.

The result:

Line 385, Column 57
: end tag for "ul" which is not finished.

It leaves a small open list thing since, without it, the content doesn't work properly. My friend, who's site is 100% XHML complaint, told me not to worry about it. It's only getting under my skin because that one tiny thing is holding my back from actually having a perfect page. ...OK, at least in terms of XHML coding. CSS wise, it's fine, but the positioning thing is really less about valid CSS than making it right in the eyes of coders. But that's something else.

If you do a W3 Validator search on what may be some of your favorite sites, you'll see that about 99% of them aren't valid. My favorite band's site, Megadeth... well, it's a lot. 291 Errors, and 194 Warnings. Anthrax? 64 errors, 16 warnings. Nettuts, an awesome website dedicated to helping designers create awesome and valid websites. Their results? 102 Errors, 53 warning.

To me, it isn't a total holy grail for a web designer since, well, a lot of great sites that work fine and look great aren't valid. This doesn't mean I'm trying to forgive the sites, mind you. A lot of them should be valid in all browsers... and they are. The errors are mainly dealing with some rather odd occurances that don't realy effect the site at all. But I guess all I'm saying is that the validation is really cool.

At the same time, save my friends site, I really haven't seen a Fully W3 Complaint website that looks cool. Not one. They all seem to suck. It's like they all have one thing in common; being so damn over-simplified that, in reallity, it isn't exactly that much different than the websites that populated the internet when it first started. Here's one site that is 100% complaint. It's a fairly nice design, but really, it's so slick and clean it doesn't seem like something that I would ever go to.

Eh, I'm just rambling.

No comments: