Friday, August 8, 2008

10-Track Mind- 10 Tracks at Random on my Radio Station

OK, I'm directly ripping of The Clog's "Ten Track Mind" right now, but it's mainly to get me to promote my radio station.. and do something interesting.

In case you haven't listened to it yet, Mark Skull Pirate Radio is my heavy metal and punk radio station, and a great thing to listen to at work, home, office, whatever! Check it out!

  • 1. Gojia - To Mars ("From Mars to Sirius") - Really mellow track that acts more as an intro to it's companion "To Sirius". Gojia is a French metal band that has always, to me, been a bit more of what would happen if hippies made kick-ass metal. Really Earth-conscious and spiritually connected band, but without getting so preachy that you hate it.
  • 2. Dethklok - Go Forth and Die ("The Dethalbum") - Brendan Small kicks ass. He's a great guitarist, albeit in the same vein as Malmsteen (really flashy). But when joined with such great artists like Gene Hologan, he soars! This track kicks a lot of ass, with a nice haunting chorus (Go... forth and die! Go forth and die!) and sweet solos.

  • 3. Marilyn Manson - Rock is Dead ("Mechanical Animals") - When this track first came out in 1998, I was more pissed that he was saying "Rock is DEAD!" than anything else. "How can you say what you do is dead? Isn't that an oxymoron?!" Eh, I was 13. Pounding guitars and drum into a militaristic beat to an otherwise upbeat melody and really insightful lyrics, another Manson Classic!

  • 4. BulletBoys - When Pigs Fly ("Za-Za") - THE most under-rated band of the glam era, the BulletBoys burst onto the scene in 1988 with their self-titled effort and in 1993, after 2 albums of non-stop hard rock and glam, they released "Za-Za", a record that successfully combined their old style with the growing alternative rock movement resulting in an otherwise great album. "When Pigs Fly" is one of my favorites because of just how damn hard it rocks!

  • 5. MD. 45 - Hell's Motel ("The Craving" [Original]) - I also have the remastered, but to degrees prefer the original. "Hell's Motel" by this Dave Mustaine side-project from 1995, kicks off an album that features FEAR singer Lee Ving delivering vocals over Dave's incredibly tight blues-tinged hard rock riffs. The metal undertones are there, adding a nice level of density to the affair.

  • 6. Metallica - Frayed Ends of Sanity ("..And Justice for All") - One of my favorite "hidden riffs" is in this song. I had this album for years and one night I was in my mom's car while she was in the store and I was listening to a cassette of the album I had bought not too long ago (nostalgia at age 19, who knew!) and out of nowhere, I heard Krik do this little riff I never heard before... it's right after the first main solo, after the galloping 16's riff... Kirk just goes into this insanely sweet note-heavy solo! Never heard it before, and when I did, it became one of my favorites.

  • 7. Rob Zombie - Meet the Creeper ("Hellbilly Delux") - I got this album in 2000 and it basically triggered this change in how I saw music. It was one of the first albums I ever bought that combined metal with horror, and it was really cool. "Meet the Creeper" is just a very haunting and creeps along like your watching a zombie flick!

  • 8. Marilyn Manson - Irresponsible Hate Anthem ("Antichrist Superstar) - We hate love/ we love hate! What better way to introduce America to the superstar-turned-antichrist (Or was it the other way around) in 1996? The track is heavy, industrial, and is a call to arms to those who wish to rebel against the Radical Right, the Christian Conservatives hell-bent on destroying America!

  • 9. The Casualties - Without Warning ("Under Attack") - Great hardcore punk track! Hearing the bellowing chant "Without Warning" at end is a highlight and a great exclamation point to a track about the realities of life and war.

  • 10. Iron Maiden - Different World ("A Matter of Life and Death") - Man, this.. this song just rocks! Maiden continuing their more progressive metal leanings from the previous two albums while keeping it fairly simple and raw... this track just has a great flow to it. The only thing that annoys me is how Bruce's voice cracks here and there, but then again, it happens when your singing your ass off for over 30 years, right?

Well, that's 10 tracks. Have a good day and look for more posts!

No comments: