Friday, August 1, 2008

8-Album Mind: Here's to The Old School!

Overkill - Necroshine ♠♠♠♠
Overkill - Killbox 13 ♠♠♠♠
Overkill - Relix IV ♠♠♠
Overkill - Immortalis ♠♠♠ REVIEW
Ozzfest 2002 ♠ SOLD
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman ♠♠♠
Overkill - Extended Versions ♠♠♠♠♠

Overkill die-hards will notice that I skipped two big (and if you follow the band, they're big) releases, namely the incredible album Bloodletting and the live album that followed, Wrecking Everything. They're not here only because today was a kinda throw-away day at work (we're throwing this big-ass party tomorrow), so I decided to save it for when I got home and just draw. Look for them tomorrow or Sunday.

That aside, not much to say today. Killbox 13, Relix IV, and the Ozzfest CD had their last chances today, and it may shock you that I did list Overkill as a possible cut. After Bloodletting, it seemed that age his Overkill like a ton of bricks, their more recent albums being heavy but not as memoriable. Killbox 13 was incredible in every aspect; incredibly heavy, brilliant lyrics, and a very intestesting album. Relix IV still isn't as good to me, and Immortalis still kinda sits (save a few tracks).

It's also worth noting that die-hard fans also don't exactly like "Extended Version" because, like the rest of the BMG series, it's just a live album they already did made into a one-disc comp. Oddly enough, for that reason alone, this albums succeds! It's all killer, no filler, and going from "Hello from the Gutter" to "Elimination" simply rips and tears! Great disc, definitely get this if your either are a fair-weather fan or not!

Meanwhile, the Ozzfest CD is on the way out. When I got this album, it was the fall of 2002 and in the looming shadow of a war with Iraq. The anti-war vibe was strong, not only with the informed public who knew better (the vocal "minority") and the sentiment of that feeling was strong at that Ozzfest, with "War Pigs" opening the album. More than anything, nostalgia has made me keep this disc because man does it suck! Yeah, Drowning Pool covered "Creeping Death", but so what? It was a mediocre cover by a mediocre band. The fact that bands like Adema got record deals is just sad. If anything, I may keep a copy of Andrew WK basically struggling with Kelly Osboure to sing "She is Beautiful" and Zakk Wylde with Soil singing their only decent song "Halo".

"Diary of a Madman" is a simply brilliant album. Now, you may wonder why "Blizard of Ozz" isn't listed first and it's simple; I'm an idiot who thought that not onlt did this precede that album, but I always thought this was an EP. No, you read that right, I always thought this was an EP. But that's only because it's one of the few albums from Ozzy I bought that had the smaller cover. Oh, and I sold Blizzard of Ozz. Why? It was a great album, but it was also the one where $haron Osbourne had the original drums and bass parts re-recorded. If I can, I'll but the ORIGINAL instead.

No comments: