Sunday, August 3, 2008

Metal Heads of Philly, Rejoice! We Have a New Place to Go!

DIGITAL FERRET NOW SELLS METAL!!!!!!

In no way am I about to post the following because I dated a very cute clerk who works there in the past, nor because I'm trying to suck up and get a 4th Friday show this month to show my work and make some cash and some headlines.

The fact is, I received a message through MySpace from Dean of Digital Ferret saying they are now stocking metal. No, you didn't misread that; Digital Ferret is now selling METAL! Which is great, because the new location (which is just HUGE!) was basically dying for something a little more to fill the space.

Now, no press release from anyone other than me goes on without me making my point of view known. I can already hear the industrial-goth community, the folks who head down to Goth Night at nightspot Shampoo every Wednesday and Dracula's Ball crying out that their haven, their home away from the metal heads who would (albeit idiotically) look at them weird will now have it encroached by part of the musical world they oppose. To them, I simply say "BAH!"

When I first came to this store in 2004 and kept going to 2007, it was for 2 reasons; The view and the fact that they still had a great shop with stuff you couldn't find anywhere else! They had a lot of stuff, namely shirts and magazines, that no one else had. The fact that they are now going to fill in the mighty big shoes that Relapse Records left simply fills my heart with joy.

To my fellow metal heads who may be a bit nervous of skeptical of the move, know this; I wasn't a fan of KMFDM until I started going there, and I'm slowly discovering a division of the metal musical landscape that was only hinted and scratched at in the mid to late 90's and abandoned far too soon.

This store rocks, and tomorrow I will be making a "surprise" visit to make sure the store is up to stuff and write a review. Expect pictures.

No comments: