Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Digital Ferret: As Dark As It Gets



I headed down today to Digital Ferret earlier today to do my review.

The first great thing about this store is that it does something I've never seen any store do before; describe the bands it sells. Granted, right now it's limited to Industrial Music (99% of the store), but it is still incredibly nice! I've seen bands I wanted to get into but know nothing about. The little reviews are great as they have descriptions about the musical output of a band. For example, I wanted to get into KMFDM but had no idea what they sounded like. So after reading a little card, it basically stated that they fused metal with industrial music, their impact, etc... I now own about most of all their CD's (save ADIOS, which I sold. It was bad).

Now, onto the new metal section! Their new metal section is composed on 99% black metal, 1% a few other discs. While I was there, someone else was buying about 15% of their stock. I'm not kidding. "Well, the price is right!" How true it is! If it's "kvlt", it's there for only $9.97!


The space is huge, incredibly clean, and the kind and friendly staff was a pleasure to be with! They constantly have art up, rotating periodically. The t-shirt selection is good, and the magazines and books cater to the goth and metal audience perfectly.

My good friend and I were discussing the possibility of the metal section in the store growing. "As time goes on, their metal selection may improve," he said. "Well, " I replied, "how many industrial music stores are there in this country?" The fact is, there isn't a lot. This store is a treasure for the industrial and goth community, not only in Philly, but also for the suburbs and such. It would be a shame to basically have it become 50% industrial 50% Metal.

At the same time, I wouldn't mind metal just being given a small little alcove at this great place. The metal section, since it is still new, is confined to only a white rack and a small little box next to the counter, but expanding it to include stuff like thrash, alternative, and grindcore.

Digital Ferret is just a great store, and it's worth checking out!

No comments: