Monday, August 4, 2008

8-Album Mind: Prince of Darkness

Ozzy Osbourne -

Tribute ♠♠♠♠
No Rest for the Wicked ♠♠♠♠
No More Tears ♠♠♠♠♠
Black Rain ♠

Today's list is both short and just one artist: Ozzy. Just say Ozz. Literally.

Well, not really. I actually listened to nearly all of "Cowboys from Hell" by Pantera, but I'm not counting that because I plan on really listening and getting into it tomorrow. It was the type of day at work where, really, you and no one else wants to work. Ozzy is kinda good for that; it passes the time, entertains you, and makes you smile.

Now, I'll admit, I'm one of the first guys to out Ozzy (even as a fan) of a lot of things, namely the fact he doesn't write a lot of the songs he sings, or he's only as good as the guitarists he works with (Ultimate Sin, anyone?). That aside, albums like "Tribute", "No Rest for the Wicked", and"No More Tears" are some of the best and strongest albums he has recorded, and are some of the best ever made overall. No man is an island, and Ozzy proves it time and time again whenever he goes into the studio with a bunch of great musicians and writers.

What can I say about "Tribute" that hasn't been said a million times? Hearing Randy Rhodes, arguably the best guitarist Ozzy ever had, play Ozzy's material live, as well as shred on old classics from the Sabbath era is just great! Hearing Zakk bring his own brand of guitar playing to "No Rest for the Wicked" was great and, despite Rolling Stone's negative review (just a writer being an ass), the album has since gone on to be hailed as a classic.

"No More Tears" has to be Ozzy's strongest album to date, with tracks such as "Mr. Tinkertrain", "I Don't Want to Change the World", the title track, and the tearjerker "Mama I'm Coming Home"... this album is just incredible and hard to resist.

In hindsight, I regret selling off "Ozzmosis" and "Down to Earth" because the former really was a good album. I sold it really out of spite and because at the time I was "growing up" and "maturing", terms that I used to justify not liking what I used to and trying not to look like I was still in high school. I think we all have albums we bought during high school and after we graduate, we kinda want them to stay behind as well. "Ozzmosis" was a good album, though. "Down to Earth" was OK, and I still own the cassette of "Original Sin", although I only listened to the thing once....

Meanwhile, "Black Rain" feels less like Ozzy even trying to put out a solid album and more like Sharon trying to milk her golden calf for he's worth. Sadly, Sharon's influence over Ozzy since 2000 has been a reason for a lot of the displeasure metalheads have had for Ozzy lately, and it's a shame. The fact that Ozzy recorded an album that felt incredibly rushed and sloppy in order to sell a few thousand more copies with the promise of a pre-sale code for the free Ozzfest in 2007 (complete with cardboard packaging and no booklet), later to be re-released in a jewel case with booklet and all (during Ozzfest, no less!).... the album will most likely forever stand as Ozzy's worst since "Ultimate Sin".

No comments: