Saturday, August 23, 2008

Redesigning My Website: War Journal 1

So, as you may have noticed, this blog has been really quiet lately.

Right now, I'm in the middle of a massive project: Re-branding and re-launching Larry West Productions. Everything from the website to the logo is getting redone. In doing so, I decided to start tossing aside a few things and add new things as well.

So, my list of things that are leaving (I hope):
  • Abandoning Dreamweaver-only and code-heavy updates by using a Content Management System (CMS)
  • No more splash page
  • New images opening in new windows

What I want to do:
  • Create a more "modern" website that's still me
  • Have new images open in some really cool way
  • Incorporating more Web 2.0 and even 3.0 ideas
  • Launch the Skateboard company
  • Optimize the site for 1024 x 768 screens
  • Have the design work for larger browser windows

That's it for now. I want to start posting comps and the design, but I really want it to be more of a surprise when it's all done. I've never used a CMS system, but more and more it's not only becoming standard, but no one is exactly thrilled with having to pay someone to update their website for them. Content Management Systems act as the middle-man that allows people to do an otherwise complicated thing. In essence, it really is the next logical step.

Now, I don't want people to think I did it out of pressure; I was pumped when I did the original website, and now I'm still really proud of it. I'm doing the design because I want to start learning a lot more about current practices in web design, coding, and management. I've been doing this stuff since 2002... and I haven't exactly been happy about growing up.

So look for periodic posts this weekend.

No comments: