Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Framing Revolution: The Future of Design?

I'm currently sitting at my desk looking at another piece I'm doing for work and I'm pounding my head over what to do. It has come to my attention that the year is now 2008, and the decade is, sadly, coming to an end. In this light, a new revolution in the world of art and graphic design is in order and I have decided to do something I rarely have been able to do in the past; start it.

Admittedly, for being a "non-conformist" and such, I have rarely not followed the trends in modern graphic design. The fact that the trends have leaned towards a more punk-influenced style in the past 2-3 years makes my job easier since I've been in that mindset my whole career, especially now. So now that the market has basically been flooded with this style, the want and demand will soon go down. A lot. For me, this is equivalent to a very possible extinction. Thus, the need to evolve and adapt has already grown in myself and, in turn, what I create and produce.

I do not know what tomorrow will bring for the art world. I can not guage trends, and I can not simply say that the revolution will be a simple one. My thoughts? This present form has been caused by the ravages of war tearing at the mindset of the population. Not only that, but the nostalgia of the 80's and it's style, high-gloss-meets-punk-and-pop, has returned full force. This started, as you may have guessed, 3 years ago and has grown largely since.

So what is the next evolutionary step?

Again, I don't have the answer. If I did, I doubt I would share them just yet. The trend seems to be odd to tell and hard to follow. I want to say a high-gloss approach will be it, but we're still in it. The "empty-white-room" is still a good trend that many follow... we've already hit abstraction and deconstruction, what's left?

No comments: